50 FORD PICKUP TOP CHOP
Sorry, I ended up getting the photos backwards from finish to start. I'm better at metalwork than I am at this computer thing. This project is going to be a "bobber" if you want to call it that. The owner is doing it as sort of a collaboration of their business with their employees input and labor.
So far, all I have done is the top chop, and a little bit of rust repair on the bottom rear cab corners, where there was a bunch of mud and grain between the inner and outer panels. Other than that, this is the most pristine body I have ever worked on. Almost zero rust. It was a 3 ton farm truck, so it was quite a good distance above the ground for its whole life.
They are supposed to bring it back to me after they have fitted the engine and transmission to do the transmission tunnel and floor board work, not because of rust, but they have to cut quite a bit out to accomodate the diesel engine and transmission.
The chop turned out very nice, and it will need a very slight amount of filler to finish it off, but it will be quite minimal. I almost covered up the imperfections with one coat of rattle can high fill primer.
After I cut the a and b pillars, I reinforced them with bits of metal made from the chopped scrap pieces. That way, the joints are a lot stronger, and they slip together to align them for a perfect fit before tacking and welding. The tops of the doors were done the same way.
The a and b pillars had to be sliced to make them line up perfectly. They were very close, but I wanted them to be better than close, so the slices were made and pried apart slightly, then welded back up again.
They wanted the rear window the original size, it was just moved so the top of the window was even with the top of the windshield.
I didn't want to quarter the top, but I also didn't want to slice and dice the door tops to lean them inwards, as I would have had to change the angle of the window channels inside the doors also. It was a bit of a bear to keep the top aligned during the initial stages of tack welding the panels together, but a whole bunch of clamps and stuff allowed it to happen.